Issues with Setup on ANY version of Ubuntu/SeaFile

Hi there,

I am having a few issues with the installation and setup of SeaFile, so I have now tried using the Haiwen setup to go through and get this going.

The only issue that I am finding now is that seahub itself won’t start and when looking at the logs I am getting that it is saying that it can’t start.

When checking the log file I can see this:
2023-10-23 12:33:48,109 [INFO] seafevents.db:62 create_engine_from_conf [seafevents] database: mysql, name: seahub_db
2023-10-23 12:38:35,416 [INFO] seafevents.db:62 create_engine_from_conf [seafevents] database: mysql, name: seahub_db
2023-10-23 12:40:00,292 [INFO] seafevents.db:62 create_engine_from_conf [seafevents] database: mysql, name: seahub_db

I have gone through and I can’t see any files within the ccnet folder, nor can I see any other DB files, but this folder has been empty through manual installations as well (please let me know if I am looking in the wrong place).

I would be more than happy to share the script used, and/or any other logs that are required (or do a clean-wipe and a manual setup that is going to work!).

I am currently in the mix between this and FileCloud and due to not being able to get this going I am tempted to go ahead with FileCloud (the main reason for these 2 options are the native support for mapping the drives directly to the machines themselves).

Which version do you try to install? Do you install using Docker image or via the installation script?

Hi Daniel,

I am using v11.0.1 on Ubuntu 22.04LTS.

I have tried both a manual installation and also a script installation from Haiwen on Github then using BASH for it to run through the installation.

I would be open to using version 10 but is this supported on 22.04LTS? Or would Deb10 be a better option?

Kind regards,
Mitch

Can anyone help with this one?

Will the outcome be different using CentOS 7 or Debian 11?

Getting back to the question by @daniel.pan are you trying to run Seafile by the standalone binaries or by Docker?

We have fixed a bug related to the installation script. You can give it a try again.

We have also tested the Docker based installation, it should work without problem.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for the update, it is all working now!

The installation script doesn’t ask for mysql credentials, thus giving an error.

Hi Derbo,

If you have a fresh installation of Ubuntu

• Login to Linux Server
  • type “sudo su root” (if you don’t have root setup yet then do sudo passwd root and set one)
  • Once logged into root please type “cd /root”
    (Anything from here are just going to be commands)
  • wget RAW GITHUB SCRIPT (I am unable to put links here)
    (you will need to replace the " (.) " with just a “.” for the link to work
  • bash seafile-11.0_ubuntu 11.0.1

The script works by generating a username/password and if you have pre-existing services or have already run the script once, you will either have to re-build your Ubuntu Instance or see below.

If you have pre-existing services on Ubuntu/MySQL

• sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install -y python3 python3-dev python3-setuptools python3-pip libmysqlclient-dev ldap-utils libldap2-dev
  • sudo apt-get install -y memcached libmemcached-dev
  • sudo pip3 install --timeout=3600 django==3.2.* future==0.18.* mysqlclient==2.1.*
    pymysql pillow==10.0.* pylibmc captcha==0.4 markupsafe==2.0.1 jinja2 sqlalchemy==2.0.18
    psd-tools django-pylibmc django_simple_captcha==0.5.* djangosaml2==1.5.* pysaml2==7.2.* pycryptodome==3.16.* cffi==1.15.1 lxml python-ldap==3.4.3
  • cd /opt
  • mkdir seafile
  • sudo chown -R seafile: /seafile
  • cd seafile
  • wget ### (Get download link by right clicking on the download that you would like from the downloads page)
  • tar xf seafile-server-###.tar.gz
  • cd sealfile-server-###
  • ./setup-seafile-mysql.sh
  • Use the following details:
  1. Server Name: (What you want your server to be called
  2. Server IP or Domain: {SERVER IP ADDRESS}
  3. Server Port: {LEAVE AS DEFAULT (BLANK)}
  4. MySQL Server Host: {SERVER IP ADDRESS}
  5. MySQL Server Port: {LEAVE BLANK} (Unless you have changed this)
  6. MySQL Root Password:
    6.1. If you have already run the script, please find this in your /root folder under .my.cnf
    6.2. If you have an existing service, please use the previously set password
  7. MySQL User: Leave Blank (Default: Seafile)
  8. MySQL Password for Seafile User:
    8.1. If you have run the script, you can find this in /opt/seafile.my.cnf
    8.2. If you haven’t run the script, please type your desired password
  9. Database Name: Leave Blank
  10. Seafile Database Name: Leave Blank
  11. Seahub Database Name: Leave Blank
  • cd /opt/seafile/conf
  • nano seahub_settings.py
  1. change the SERVICE_URL to be your IP address with “:8000” on the end (i.e. 1.2.3.4:8000/
  • Ctrl + X, Enter, Y, Enter
  • nano gunicorn.conf.py
  1. Change the BIND to “0.0.0.0:8000”
  • cd /opt/seafile/seafile-server-latest
  • ./seafile.sh start
  • ./seahub.sh start

After this, all you will need to do is open a Web Browser and then go to the IP address of your server to access the admin panel.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply or email me on mitchw@kwgroup.uk.

(Please note, I am in no way associated to Seafile - I am just looking to help the community!)

1 Like

The only error, when trying to start seahub

It is likely you have a wrong version of sqlalchemy.