Matrix community support channel

Hi,

my second home server project after a Seafile server was about providing an own instant messenger and I ended up using matrix (which combines the freedom of XMPP with the look&feel of Slack, just not proprietary / centralized but as federated network like XMPP… some would call it a “hipster IRC” :wink: ). I run a matrix node since several months and just wondered if there is a Seafile channel in the matrix universe but didn’t found anything Seafile related.

Although I think that a forum like this is the much better way for supporting the community in long term a messenger based platform can be something “nice to have” so I founded a channel which you can find under #seafile:yuhu.ddns.net with your matrix client.
The channel / room can be visited as guest as well using a web app, for example: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#seafile:matrix.org

The channel has a RSS bot providing Seafile news.

See you!

@Seafile devs: The description of the channel indicates that it is an unofficial community channel but if there are any problems that I use the Seafile logo just let me know and will change it. Although let me know If you (maybe one day) want to take over the channel, I just founded it because I didn’t found any existing one (there is no problem changing the channel address later).

Matrix is shit. Especially since matrix.org was hacked and you don’t know which packages are without viruses, you shouldn’t use them. What’s so bad about an IRC channel on freenode? I like Slack, but if don’t have to organize it’s just bloat. Seafile also had a Gitter channel long ago, no one uses it.

So E-mail is shit because Yahoo was hacked (severa times)?
Or Seafile is shit because the server of a friend of mine was hacked?

You never know but thx to FLOSS: Compile it on your own. Like you do for the Seafile client because of the “chinese government”, don’t you? :wink:

Nothing is bad about an IRC channel in freenode if you like

• centralized communication networks
  • a client look&feel of the “1980s”

You like Slack which is a proprietary “walled garden” but you don’t like a communication protocol like Matrix which provides you (almost) the same features but - in contrast to Slack - full autonomy because you can host your own server as part of a federated network?
Furthermore Matrix provides:

• a reference client (riot.im which is available for all platforms and provides audio/video telephony
  • a communication network with a great availability: If a Matrix server which was the original hoster of a room (group/MUC) goes offline this doesn’t cut off the communication to users of other Matrix providers because the rooms are synchronized over all participating servers (in contrast to IRC/XMPP). Show me one open messenger protocol providing such a great feature.

Thx for the information, I will bridge it to the Matrix channel.

However: If you don’t like Matrix nobody forces you to use it.

Unfortunately the Gitter Integration for Matrix reports:

Bridge returned HTTP 500 Internal Server Error: Guest access not allowed

@daniel.pan: Would you allow/enable guest access for https://gitter.im/haiwen/seafile so that I can bridge the Matrix channel to Gitter?

We don’t use gitter. The https://gitter.im/haiwen/seafile maybe created automatically by Gitter during their initial marketing effort.

Oh, okay. Better you close the Gitter channel then because it looks official but unmaintained.

It is removed now.