Moving seafile-data directory to network share, can't create seafile.sock

Hello,

I just got Seafile all set up and configured, and it appeared to be working perfectly. However, I’d like to move the seafile-data directory into a network drive location. From the couple of tutorials I’ve found online, the easiest method looked to just symlink the network location into the normal /opt/seafile/seafile-data location.

When I attempt to start the service, however, I get the following errors in my seafile.log file:

[02/21/20 12:26:06] failed to bind unix socket fd to /opt/seafile/seafile-data/seafile.sock : Operation not permitted
[02/21/20 12:26:06] seaf-server.c(774): Failed to start rpc server.

As a note, if I symlink seafile-data from somewhere on my local filesystem somewhere, it works fine which makes me believe the symlink is fine, but the network drive doesn’t support Unix Socket? I don’t know, I haven’t looked much into that.

I figured the easiest way to get this to work would be to move the location of seafile.sock to somewhere else. Is this possible?

I’m using Seafile version 7.1.1 on Debian 10.

I guess I can symlink just the seafile-data/storage folder… it looks like that works. Is that the most elegant solution to move data onto a network drive?

This should work for this version.

We will also move seafile.sock outside of seafile-data in the next release.

Sounds like a good solution. Any plans to be able to move the seafile-data folder around as well, or is symlinking going to be the recommended way of changing that location?

Keep up the good work, btw.

Symbolic link is the recommend way.