Native Support for Apple Silicon

Since Qt 6.2 LTS was released on 2021-09-30, I wanted to ask if there is any progress here? Is M1 support planned in the near future? Would love to get that without needing Rosetta.

1 Like

My organisation doesn’t allow it because they believe it increases the attack surface, since it would make it possible to be attacked by x86 malware.

Agreed - really would like to use sync!

We’ll test Qt 6.2 recently. But currently no fixed timeframe for upgrading to it. It would most likely be done in the next year.

It would be really nice if there was some progress in this. Seafile Sync is using a lot of resources compared to similar syncing apps like Google Drive which are native for Apple M1 Silicon.

Also on my work computer it isn’t possible to install Seafile Sync because, to reduce attack surface, the company has enacted a policy to disallow Rosetta2.

As a stopgap measure against the high CPU usage of the Intel Seafile client (it was really killing my battery life!), I disabled FinderSync integration in Preferences, and my Finder process relaxed to normal CPU usage. I lost all the nice Finder icons and menus, of course.

Another vote for a M1 release soonish, please!

3 Likes

Any news on that? For me, Seafile is the only app left that doesn’t run natively on M1.

1 Like

We will work on in the next half of this year.

@daniel.pan any luck? QT now has support for M1, would be great to see a build with native apple aarm64 support

We plan to work on a universal build this year. But it’s not high priority.

2 Likes

It’s an easy win at least - looking forward to it @Jonathan