Need Advise How To Restore Seafile Data

Hi Guys, here’s the scenario:

I have a computer with 2 hard drives running Seafile. The 1st hard drive contains Seafile installation, database, etc but the Seafile data directory is stored in the 2nd hard drive. This working fine without any issue for the past several months.

Now, the 1st hard drive failed completely. I did make a backup on the database but that was many months ago (May).

Today I placed a new hard drive into the computer, went through the installation, map the Seafile data directory to the second hard drive (exact patch as before) and restore the database.

However, after logging into the web interface to check, the data (library, folder, etc) shown only reflects all the work done in May. I can’t find any recent data even though I’m pretty sure it exists and remain intact in the second drive.

Is there any possibility for me to put back everything in order before the disaster? I suspect the key to solving this must be done through the database but I have no clue where to begin and how.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Next construction site. How do I restore backed up data to a running instance?
Or is it only sensible to back up a complete VM? Or backup system and datadiask?
I would be very interested. So far I haven’t stumbled across a corresponding guide in relation to Seafile.

Now the bad news. Without the information from your first (system) deceased disk, you are at a disadvantage with deduplication systems. You just don’t have the information you need to piece together the stored chunks of data on your datadisk.

In my opinion, bad design on the part of seafile or foot error on your part. Where the data lives in the form of blocks, the building instructions must also be there by default. If you change (what i didn’t know) such a default, you should know what you are doing and backup accordingly.

To avoid this kind of problem that I’m having, definitely you have to backup the complete VM. I’m using Proxmox VE and it does have this feature, it’s my own fault not scheduling the backup earlier.

Btw, for those who are having the same problem, here’s what I did to solve this problem.

Export all the libraries to the external file system (Ext4)
./ --export exportpath

You can find the details here

After that, I download all the data (via FTP) into my local computer and re-upload/resync all the data back into its corresponding libraries or folder in the Seafile server.

This path takes some time but at least I don’t lose any files.


1 Like