No logrotate for controller.log

Due to a problem (see other thread), I noticed that controller.log isn’t rotated. So the current size is >300MB, which seems to be too much for a logfile!?
Is it the normal behaviour, that this logfile doesn’t get rotated or is it just in my installation?
Shouldn’t it be rotated?

Thanks and best regards,
Jochen

Edit: problem already mentioned (but not yet solved) here:
Github

1 Like

Normally controller log should not be that large. Mine exists since october 2014, the server was online 24/7 and the log is 1,8 MiB in size.

Yeah, mine was that big because of a problem with an empty .pid-file. The error messages every 10 seconds filled up the controller.log.
In the meantime I solved the pid-file problem and now it remains silent in controller.log. So ‘normally’ it shouldn’t be necesssary to rotate controller.log but in a case like mentioned above, when there is an error and it get’s logged, it could be helpful to have rotated logs…

We will look into the issue.

2 Likes

Pretty early adopter of seafile here. Have been running seafile non-stop since pi1 days and I just deleted my log files:

-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 923456519 Sep 16 00:44 ccnet.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 885583 Sep 16 00:37 controller.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile seafile 67 Aug 25 2014 fileserver.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 858 Apr 18 2014 http.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile seafile 0 Feb 1 2014 seaf-fuse.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile seafile 25690 Aug 25 2014 seafdav.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 545544728 Sep 16 01:11 seafile.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 775 May 11 12:07 seahub.log
-rw-r–r-- 1 seafile users 1658756 Sep 15 22:55 seahub_django_request.log

(sorry I forgot the -h)
-> roughly 1.5 GB(!) of log files. Especially on a raspberry running on an sd-card, this seems problematic.
I have since added a line clearing logs to my seafile server start script but this might not be a good solution for everyone.

Logrotate should be used for every log. Especially on servers, please setup logrotate.

@daniel.pan Please setup logrotate for all seafile logs automatically via deployment script.

1 Like