Open Source Alternative?

I have been having problems installing Seafile on Archlinux as the compilation keeps falling over with an invalid gpg key. Before I get too tied up into Seadrive (which I really love!) is there an Open Source alternative?

I really don’t need the syncing that Seafile provides, but I really love Seadrive! I store my music and videos on my server, and from my Linux client I can open up VLC or Deadbeef and click “File -> Open”, select Seadrive, My Libraries, and Music or Videos. It really works well!

But I’m a bit concerned about its future with Linux, and I don’t do Windows.

I think this will make you happy: SeaDrive 2.0.2 is ready!

1 Like

According to the download site, it’s still in beta. And for Windows only.

Hi Mike,

sorry, my post was maybe a little to short.

Click on the link again! I will bring you to this statement by Jonathan, Seafile CTO: “We plan to make Linux version of SeaDrive open sourced in the future. We’ll announce when it’s ready.”

Doesn’t this make you happy?

Ralf

2 Likes

Hi rdb,

Is there any news yet on when Seadrive will become open source?

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
sorry, this is a question above my pay grade.
@Jonathan: Can you comment?
Ralf

We’ll release it this year.

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for this! I’m eager to see if I can get it running on a raspi.

It’s happened! https://github.com/haiwen/seadrive-fuse
Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice! I’ll try to get it to compile this weekend and post my findings.

@Jonathan, thanks a lot for making this happen! Open-source version works great on my Fedora 33 devices.
Just a couple of things to confirm before I proceed with Fedora package review process for seadrive:

1. The license file in the seafile-fuse repository is GPLv3, however debian/copyright claims otherwise and links to SeaDrive proprietary EULA. We are allowed to use the source under GPLv3 for sake of distribution packaging, right?
  2. Would it be regularly updated? Is there a strict dependency between seadrive-daemon and seadrive-gui versions?
    I’m asking because the latter one already has 2.0.7 tagged while the seadrive-fuse public source is at 2.0.6.

We’ll fix that.

Yes it’ll be regularly updated when new changes applies to Linux. 2.0.7 contains no changes related to Linux.

Thanks for confirming!
Do you mind adding this to the project’s readme? Might help other packagers or users who are concerned about version differences :slight_smile:

It’s updated now.

2 Likes