Option for having a differently named Seafile cache directory structure

Adobe CC Software, such as Photoshop or Illustrator, create files with references to other files that are used in this file. These references are stored inside the files as absolute file paths, and they cannot be set to relative ones. I know this isn’t a nice/smart move on Adobe’s behalf, but I don’t think they will change this anytime soon.

To solve this with other syncing solutions, such as OneDrive, you can make a cache in the root of a hard rive; such as C: to create a user agnostic cache-path that remains the same for everyone. For example C:/Onedrive/SharedWithGroupX

Unfortunately this solution does not work with Seafile because the cache is always structured like this: [cache path]→[seadrive server user name]→shared with me/shared with groups/etc. The username being the issue here, since it will create unique file paths for any user despite them all being on the same server; using the same files.

It would be nice if the server name could be used instead of the username to avoid this. [cache path]→[seadrive server name]→shared with me/shared with groups/etc. This has the added benefit that users with accounts on more than one server can keep them apart more easily. Now; if you use multiple accounts for different servers with the same accountname, they will be stored in the same Seafile cache with the same username but with numbers behind them. Which isn’t convenient at all.

Now:
[seafile cache directory] → jeoffrey → shared with me/shared with groups/etc
[seafile cache directory] → jeoffrey1 → shared with me/shared with groups/etc
[seafile cache directory] → jeoffrey2 → shared with me/shared with groups/etc

With my proposal:
[seafile cache directory] → server1 → shared with me/shared with groups/etc
[seafile cache directory] → server2 → shared with me/shared with groups/etc
[seafile cache directory] → server3 → shared with me/shared with groups/etc

1 Like

this is a very good suggestion. it also solves the issue of having the same username on multiple server which causes conflicts with local cache.