Package python-urllib3 is not available

I’ve used Seafile for several years on Windows Server but I’m migrating to Linux so I can get the latest version - of which my knowledge is sketchy to say the least.

I’m installing seafile-server_7.1.5_x86-64.tar.gz and get to the point of installing the Python packages. The following fails:

apt-get install python-urllib3

With the error:

Package python-urllib3 is not available, but is referred to by another package.

I’m guessing that I need a different package?

What system is the server running?
Package names oftentimes vary slightly depending on the system.

For Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal), python3-urllib3 is available - maybe that’s the one you need

Mint v20.1 - will give that one a go.

Is that going to work with Python v2.x? This is from the documentation and infers that Seafile only works with Python v2.7?

# on Ubuntu 16.04 server
# As the default python binary on Ubuntu 16.04 server is python 3, we need to install python (python 2) first.
apt-get update
apt-get install python
apt-get install python2.7 libpython2.7 python-setuptools python-ldap python-urllib3 ffmpeg python-pip sqlite3 python-requests
pip install Pillow==4.3.0
pip install moviepy  # used in movie file thumbnails

Version 7.1+ of Seafile require Python 3, the earlier versions were using Python 2.

(https://manual.seafile.com/upgrade/upgrade_notes_for_7.1.x/ : From 7.1.0 version, Seafile will depend on the Python 3 and is not compatible with Python 2.)

Thanks for that - explains why I’m struggling. The documentation should really be updated?

The v7 install of this package failed on Mint v20 (Ubuntu/Debian:

pip3 install --timeout=3600 pylibmc

This package had to be installed first:

apt install libmemcached-dev zlib1g-dev

Yes, unfortunately the documentation is not always up-to-date - which gets frustrating especially for new users. Glad you were able to fix your issues!

1 Like