Plesk Seafile Extension

After installing the Plesk Seafile Extension what is the correct procedure to add new users to the Seahub? As you know it is not possible to add new users through the Seahub “System Admin” page if the Seafile Extension is active.
Adding new Plesk users has no effect.

Hi @FrancescoDiMarzo,

adding mail users to Plesk should add them to Seafile as well.

Please note that the Seafile Extension for Plesk (this one here: https://www.plesk.com/extensions/seafile/) is not maintained by Seafile. The extension also uses a dated Seafile version (6.2.5) (the developers are working on an update though.) It is also built with a specific use case in mind (see below).

If you want to use a current version of Seafile with Plesk, I recommend to follow these instructions: https://de.seafile.com/seafile-unter-plesk-installieren/ (they are available in German only, but Google Translate will get you very far).

Hi @rdb,

indeed the Seafile extension is not maintained by Seafile, it is maintained by me and my colleagues. Its intended use is for multi-tenant Plesk systems with integration in to hosting plans (each subscription gets its own Seafile installation), and so that it integrates with mail user management and backup/restore.

As you say, the version is dated – the automated upgrade path is next on our roadmap.

I hope that at least clarifies what functionality we’ve prioritized over running the latest version.

Hi @kanarip,
thanks for the details. I have modified my initial response accordingly.
If you provide me with more info, I can put a mention of your Plesk extension on the Seafile website.
Best
Ralf

Hi @rdb,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m happy to provide a little bit more info, just let me know if you have any further questions;

Kolab and Plesk work closely together on a suite of extensions for team collaboration; Obviously Kolab itself, then Seafile, and in the near future, we should see Mattermost and Collabora Online land as well.

Using Kolab and Seafile together makes the Seafile contents available in the web client, which is useful for saving attachments and sharing download links and so forth. Obviously the clients that Seafile has help a tremendous amount for a variety of use-cases as well.

We have been in touch with Seafile itself on this subject before, in order to see if we could up-sell to licensed versions (i.e. the pro edition w/ addt. features) through the extension as well, but the signing of licenses is not (yet) automated / available over what Plesk needs (an “ISV End-point”, which is where we offered to help). As such, the current extension uses the community edition, and is available in the Plesk extension catalogue for free.

I would estimate the extension gets a new ~1500 users to Seafile each month, but we do not currently have any more detailed statistics – that’ll come with the next release.

As for the upgrading (and future up-selling from community to pro), we need this sort of functionality across multiple extensions, and are developing the facilities in a shared library we use for our extensions called Phlesk.

I hope this helps to appreciate that in a mere few months, the Seafile extension will likely have a “critical mass” user base, we’ll have the statistics to back that up, and we can show there’s thousands of happy users :stuck_out_tongue:

PS. I’m not (yet) permitted to include links in my posts I’m afraid.

1 Like

I have installed the sefile extention, It stopped working.

Config is default: Nginx Proxy, Apache, php7.4 installed on the dome is wordpress. SeaDrive says error 301, don’t now where the log is in Plesk