Recover library with 0 byte files

solved

Hi,

My library was unavailable and I ran a ./seaf-fsck.sh --repair on my server.
This command replaced the size of all files in my libraries to 0 byte files.

Now that my library is available, I’d like to recover these files ('cause if I try to download them, I’m just downloading 0 byte files).
I tried to run ./seaf-fsck.sh --repair but the program didn’t find any errors and didn’t change anything.

Do you know how can I solve that ?

Thanks

IMO, the solution would be to force seaf-fsck to re-check the file size and replace it with the right one.

I guess I can do that by replacing the file size value in the database.
Do you know which table / field can help me?

Is this a bug ?

Exporting Libraries to File System

Since version 4.2.0, you can use seaf-fsck to export all the files in libraries to external file system (such as Ext4). This procedure doesn’t rely on the seafile database. As long as you have your seafile-data directory, you can always export your files from Seafile to external file system.

The command syntax is

cd seafile-server-latest
./seaf-fsck.sh --export top_export_path [library-id1] [library-id2] …
The argument top_export_path is a directory to place the exported files. Each library will be exported as a sub-directory of the export path. If you don’t specify library ids, all libraries will be exported.

Currently only un-encrypted libraries can be exported. Encrypted libraries will be skipped.

Thanks for the replies @DerDanilo and @arjones85

@DerDanilo I’m not sure if this is a bug, I don’t know what is the expected behavior of seaf-fsck in that case.

@arjones85 This is not gonna work in ;y case as the libraries I want to export are encrypted. Also, if I export the files I will be able to get back the files. However, I would have to re-import them into Seafile. What I want to do is to fix the imported libraries.

Also, the libraries I’m using are using a Object Storage backend (Amazon S3-like, but with the Openstack swift API).

This more looks like the files content has been lost due to a hardware / storage failure and seaf-fsck could not recover the contents.

@GNUletik what provider do you use for the object storage?

I’m using OVH. I checked the repositories and there was no changes on the files since I messed up the library.
I don’t think the files are corrupted.

Hmm, it don’t seems to be very likely that the object storage did fail.

When you go to the file history, are there older entries?

Nice catch @shoeper, the files in the file history have the right size and I can download them.

Is there a way I can restore every files to an older version? Or another way to restore them as current files?

When viewing a snapshot there is a recover button on the top right. I think that is what you need.

Looks like seaf-fsck created a new commit where all files are empty and choose it as the most recent one. There are no logs from running seaf-fsck, are there? That looks a bit like seaf-fsck was not able to access the stored blocks which led it believe they would be lost.

Works like a charm ! I Didn’t know this was possible.
Thank you so much @shoeper :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what seaf-fsck did.
But I don’t have anymore the logs from seaf-fsck. I just remember there was lines saying “Replacing with 0 byte files”.

Thanks again :slight_smile: