Recover Seafile 7.0.4 CE

Hello, my raspberry pi’ SD card suddenly died, but luckly I have all Seafile files on external HDD and daily sqlite databases dumps.

What is best practice to recover? I have to reinstall the whole system, so I’m thinking to migrate from 7.0 to 7.1, should I start with Python 3 already or not?

But most important: how do I connect the new installation with old data files and databases?

Is this doc still up to date and does it work? https://download.seafile.com/published/seafile-manual/maintain/backup_recovery.md

Thankyou in advance for help

I’ve successfully used old data files and databases to restore seafile-server following this document. I didn’t try restoring to a newer version though.

I understand that you have to reinstall the whole system and don’t want to set everything up with python3 but I believe python2 is still installed on newer versions and you could restore and then upgrade - unless someone with a better knowledge tells you it’s save.

On the other hand, you can just try to go for 7.1 directly. If it doesn’t work, you can still restore to 7.0 and then update to 7.1. Most of the time my restoration required was the time required to copy the data from the backup drive to the system drive.

That’s very good.

Thanks for your suggestions. Anyway since I’m reinstalling everythin I’m going for Ubuntu 20.04 as OS and it comes with python 3.8, which I’m not sure is already supported by Seafile, is it?

(FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes - Ubuntu Wiki)

Python 3.8 works if you set the soft-link as described here.

In terms of restoring the following might work, though not sure because of the different python versions.
Install 7.1.4 on your new SD card. Copy the “ccnet”, “conf”, “seahub-data” and “seafile-data” folders as well as the “seahub.db” from your backup to the new location. Run all update scripts from 7.0.4 to 7.1.4. Hope that Seafile and Seahub start…

1 Like

If you are having a Rpi 4 please tell me if the “fsck” bug at boot is fixed. “Last mount time:” running “tune2fs -l /dev/sda*” was not set correctly when I tried the OS, so fsck on boot was not working properly.

I’ll try in a week or two as soon as I got time for it. Anyway I’m not on rpi but on banana pi M1, same architecture of raspberry (armhf) but not identical hardware. For example it has sata slot.

I’m going to try the lucky way first: Ubuntu 20.04 with Python 3.8, if not working I will retry with lesser versions of both and hope it will work.

I’ll keep updates here

I failed on ubuntu 20.04(compiling problems), but I successfully restored backups on 18.04 using package provided by seafile. Stock python is 3.6.