Remote wipe features missing

Hi,

We have tested remote wipe with the new server and client but it is unfortunately not what we wished for.

It only works if you delete your own client. If the admin deletes the client the files are not wiped.

Also, if your right to a library or folder are revoked, those do not get wiped. We would really need that.

I understand, you want the option for the admin to trigger the remote wipe too and the ability to say, after you revoke a share permission that this content (but just this) gets deleted on all client machines from the specific user. Right?

Exactly. If i revoke the right to an Library it would be awesome if the files get deleted.

Exactly, that’s what we need. I think Dropbox has this feature and some clients of us really need this.

@daniel.pan Is it possible for you to implement this? I also think that this is needed.

Just out of interest: what is the use-case behind this? As it’d be trivially easy to just copy the contents of the folder somewhere else regularly, remote wiping a desktop does not in any way at all ensure that somebody does not have access to files they previously had access to.

Is it sort of a ‘token’ gesture for legal reasons, or what?

my reason for this is that my user are not very familiar with IT. They think “there is a folder, so i can save something to it.”. Even if there is no green checkmark that ensures that it is synchronised.

We have around 90 user (next year >120) with about 160 libraries. It would realy help to have this kind of feature, to “clean” the clients. (Automatic synchronization would be another great feature)

Also our (i don’t know how it names in english) Data Protection guy would be happy to see something like this wipe funktion. (i know that the user can simply copy everything).

Regarding this kind of usage, I suggest to use the Drive client, which

• Automatically show all files in the local drive disk
  • When a folder is unshared, it automatically disappear from local
  • Copying folder to the local disk will create a library and upload the files to the server

Yes, first of all it is a token gesture. On the other hand, as Andre said, it also helps non-IT people. Once they do not have access to a folder anymore (have been moved to another project, etc) the do not have the local copy there and it will not confuse them. Also we had users who did not notice they’ve been revoked access, have edited files in the local fodlers and wondered why others don’t see them.

@daniel.pan But the Drive client also does offline syncing, doesn’t it? What happens to those files that are synced?

Our users need offline access to the files, and also need this specific remote wiping ability. Even if the Drive client could do this, it will take some time to test it, have it deployed, etc.

As the wiping functionality is built into the client and the server already, it’s only a matter of some new “rules”. We’d really appreciate it and this could be deciding factor whether some of our clients change back to Dropbox.

Does the drive client support encrypted libraries?

Not yet. But it will be added in version 1.1. Currently, the drive client is still in a beta version.

I would say, especially companys need such features. If a user (employee) leaves the company and has used it’s own device to work with the data, you can get sure, that it gets deleted automatically. The next thing is if a users has lost his device (especially mobile phones), critical data can not get in wrong hands if the remote wipe was successful.

Of course a user could copy data somewhere else but there are also possibilities for the admin to prevent such things.

The user could also create screenshots on this mobile device from critical documents or cloud create share links or upload the data in this own library and create then a share link. And here Seafile has to protect the company’s data. For example, since the new seafile version, it is possible to create different rules for different users (Role based permission control). With this setting, you can prevent users form uploading own libraries or share content. This is the right way.

1 Like

Are there any news on this request?
It would be very nice to have!

this feature allready in Seafile.

Unbenannt

The Checkbox says that it deletes all data from the device as soon as it gets online.

3 Likes