Requirements before upgrading from 6.x to 7.x

Hi Folks,

I’m running a ubuntu 18.04 server with seafile-pro-server-6.3.13 and would like to prepare an upgrade to the latest 7.x version.

On the server (back then) I installed:

• penjdk-8-jre
  • poppler-utils
  • libpython2.7
  • python-pip
  • mysql-server
  • python-setuptools
  • python-pil
  • python-memcache
  • python-mysqldb
  • python-setuptools
  • python-ldap
  • python-urllib3

do I miss any prerequirements for the version 7?

I’m using Nginx in front of seafile.

Is there anything more I should know before upgrading?

I want to upgrade my preproduction server before I touch the real server but rather than running into issues, I thought it might be a good idea to ask here, because I remember that many had troubles migrating from 6 to 7.

Any help appreciated
Michael

Hi Michael,

on RedHat I had to manually upgrade Java from 1.7 to 1.8:

# java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_232"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_232-b09)

Greetings,
Dirk

@uosseafile: thanks alot.

@rest: nothing else you guys remember having trouble with? I followed the forum a couple of weeks ago when 7.1 was released and I remember alot of problems.
Nothing of that left?

Michael

1 Like

So I upgraded my preproduction server:

michael@cloud-preprod:~/seafile/seafile-pro-server-7.0.10/upgrade$ ./upgrade_6.3_7.0.sh

-------------------------------------------------------------
This script would upgrade your seafile server from 6.3 to 7.0
Press [ENTER] to contiune
-------------------------------------------------------------

Updating seafile/seahub database ...

[INFO] You are using MySQL
[INFO] updating ccnet database...
[INFO] updating seafile database...
/home/michael/seafile/seafile-pro-server-7.0.10/upgrade/db_update_helper.py:354: Warning: (1050L, "Table 'RepoSyncError' already exists")
  cursor.execute(sql)
/home/michael/seafile/seafile-pro-server-7.0.10/upgrade/db_update_helper.py:354: Warning: (1050L, "Table 'WebUploadTempFiles' already exists")
  cursor.execute(sql)
[INFO] updating seahub database...
[WARNING] Failed to execute sql: (1091, "Can't DROP 'profile_profile_contact_email_0975e4bf_uniq'; check that column/key exists")
Done

migrating avatars ...

Done

updating /home/michael/seafile/seafile-server-latest symbolic link to /home/michael/seafile/seafile-pro-server-7.0.10 ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Upgraded your seafile server successfully.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

beside the warning (that seems to be ignored by other threads here) it worked fine. I had to restart the server since NGINX promted me with a BAD Gateway, but after reboot it was all fine.
I logged into the new webinterface and was quite disappointed about the new look. I barely even noticed any difference (visually) and hope the the “real magic” happened under the hood…

I played arround with the Markup editor and was also not really happy with it. Doesn’t work properly like other Wikis from my point of view. And I wouldn’t recommend my users to use it if even I can’t handle it.

Nevertheless we don’t use the webinterface anyway. All Users have the seafile client installed and the Admin has some public libraries shared to everyone…

But why upgrade to 7.0 at all? hmm I dont now. Maybe just to be ontop with all others?
Dunno…

I was planing to develope a App that syncs some folders on the mobile device to the user library and therefore will need the API, so maybe I want to upgrade just to make sure that the API is up2date.

Beside that I dont see any motivation for us to migrate.

1 Like