SeaDrive is not production ready

Hi @daniel.pan,
I think that SeaDrive should be marked still beta. After 2 months of using in company, there are to many bugs, bigger, smaller, that making it unusable. Half of the employees start using seahub instead of SeaDrive.

I repored some error on github, some going to report(grabing info about errors) but there is small list.

https://github.com/haiwen/seadrive-gui/issues/35
https://github.com/haiwen/seadrive-gui/issues/31

Not reported

• Write more files cause “Transfer Errors” which block next syncing
  • Sync files over SeaDrive take sometimes one or more days. Files aren’t bigger then 10MB
  • Sometimes SeaDrive halt explorer.exe (world wide known “Not responding”), cannot kill, have to restart system
  • Sometimes open file from SeaDrive like PDF in Adobe Reader, cause explorer.exe halt and Adobe Reader halt and as administrator I cannot kill it.
  • SeaDrive creating folders in libraries which nobody create. This folders are re-appear every day, and they don’t have timestamp of creation or update, no history and no history after delete.

All computers running latest Windows 10 (without Fall Creators update), SeaDrive 0.8.0. Server running 6.2.2 and all things (exclude SeaDrive) works greate like years before.

We are working only with office files, like doc, xls, pdf and images (jpg, jpeg).

4 Likes

Some of your issues seem to be related to network speed or connection status. Where is your server?

Server is out of office(Server house 1Gbps on root network). Anyway standard clients works great without any issues. I check it on another server which is on local network and it start do same problem. The main problem is that SeaDrive don’t try upload files after error again, this cause stop syncing all new/edited files for while and this cause same errors. This error shows after someone try to add more then one file(in our case 20 images/photos for example). So people start using SeaHub or classic seafile client and it works(upload 40Mbps, download 1000Mbps).

I can provide what you want(user account on seafile server) to help you debug problem.

SeaDrive should have a solution for any case that could occur.

This is really sad as I really want to go over to the SeaDrive instead of the regular Seafile Client.
This is one of the advantage that Seafile have over other brands like NextCloud, the SeaDrive’s option to use it like a network drive without downloading all of the data to the client computer.

@holantomas Looking at the version number, beginning with 0.x it already should be clear that the drive client isn’t released as stable / production ready yet.
Nevertheless I’m also looking forward to a stable version.

Cheers

Yes but the “BETA” label was there and was removed. So what I’m saying is take it back cause alot of people don’t know versioning standards. For example my boss :smiley:

1 Like

I also ended up uninstalling Seadrive and going back to Seafile. Several non-recreatable minor bugs and general flakyness where I didn’t feel comfortable with my data on it.

Needs more work towards stability.

SeaDrive 0.8.1 is ready. We will an option to mount SeaDrive virtual disk as removable drive, which should eliminate several problems. Please give it a try.

We will also spend more time in SeaDrive in the next 3 months. So debug information is welcome.

2 Likes

very good - please provide the support for encrypted libraries as soon as possible. This is one of the most requested features of Seadrive.

3 Likes

+1 For encrypted libraries

I’m afraid we will only work on encrypted library support after SeaDrive work well for non-encrypted libraries.

1 Like

Any updates one the new version of SeaDrive? Is it stable? I did notice that the Beta lable is back on it.

It is fair and good that the beta label is back as it is not stable so far.

1 Like

Over-write problem solved and will be fixed in next release … thanks

https://github.com/haiwen/seadrive-gui/issues/31#issuecomment-343145486

Here is an update of the status of these issues.

• Write more files cause “Transfer Errors” which block next syncing

Fixed.

• Sync files over SeaDrive take sometimes one or more days. Files aren’t bigger then 10MB

Need to investigate.

• Sometimes SeaDrive halt explorer.exe (world wide known “Not responding”), cannot kill, have to restart system

This should be an issue in Dokany driver. It should have been fixed in our latest 0.8.4 version (using Dokany 1.1.0). See https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/issues/623

• Sometimes open file from SeaDrive like PDF in Adobe Reader, cause explorer.exe halt and Adobe Reader halt and as administrator I cannot kill it.

Being investigated under https://github.com/haiwen/seadrive-gui/issues/47

• SeaDrive creating folders in libraries which nobody create. This folders are re-appear every day, and they don’t have timestamp of creation or update, no history and no history after delete.

Fixed.

2 Likes
  1. Partial confirm. You can write more files without error. But if is there some Transfer Error then next syncing is partially blocked
  2. This was maybe fixed … no one reporting this to me (exclude PCs with Transfer Error)
  3. Confirm
  4. Confirm
2 Likes