Seafile 7.1.5 in WSL1 (Server 2019) using Ubunto 20.04 - SeaHub not starting

Hello,

I am currently using the last available version of Seafile Server within a Windows infrastructure (Microsoft Server 2019). My main reason is that I have no experience in Linux administration.

For this reason I didn’t want to install the current version of Seafile Server 7.1.5 in a virtual machine, but use the WSL1 platform of Microsoft Server 2019 ( Windows Subsystem for Linux) to run Seafile Server within Ubuntu 20.04.

First I tried to implement Seafile Server 7.1.5 in combination with MySQL. There is a pretty good online manual (https://www.how2shout.com/linux/install-seafile-server-on-wsl-windows-10-subsystem-for-linux/) which is not completely free of errors but describes the procedure quite well. However, I failed in the last step: starting Seahub kept getting stuck because I was not able to create a Seafile Administrator with a password.

In the next step I first eliminated Ubuntu from the WSL1 platform and then set up a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 system in WSL1. In the hope to get ahead I tried to install a SQLite installation of Seafile Server 7.1.5. For this I used the official Seafile manual (https://download.seafile.com/published/seafile-manual/deploy/using_sqlite.md) as a guide.

The first problem resulted from the description in the manual how to install Python 2.7 and the modules depending on it - Ubuntu 20.04 only knows Python 3. So I tried a synthesis with the online manual. This appeared to be better and I already thought it’s done, but…:

====================================================
administrator@Thaide:/opt/seafile$ sudo bash seafile.sh start

[10/21/20 14:23:15] …/common/session.c(148): using config file /opt/conf/ccnet.conf
Starting seafile server, please wait …
** Message: 14:23:15.685: seafile-controller.c(572): No seafevents.

Seafile server started

Done.
administrator@Thaide:/opt/seafile$ sudo bash seahub.sh start

LC_ALL is not set in ENV, set to en_US.UTF-8
Starting seahub at port 8000 …

It’s the first time you start the seafile server. Now let’s create the admin account
----------------------------------------

What is the email for the admin account?
[ admin email ] hanneshar@gmx.de

What is the password for the admin account?
[ admin password ]

Enter the password again:
[ admin password again ]

Successfully created seafile admin

Error:Seahub failed to start.
Please try to run “./seahub.sh start” again

In other words: in the SQlite installation I managed to create an administrator account, but still Seahub won’t start. After some more research I found the hint to run this command sequence which might give some more information about the background of the error message:

administrator@Thaide:/opt/seafile$ sudo ./seahub.sh start-fastcgi

Starting seahub (fastcgi) at 127.0.0.1:8000 …
Traceback (most recent call last):
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/manage.py”, line 10, in **
** execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)**
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/thirdpart/django/core/management/init.py”, line 364, in execute_from_command_line**
** utility.execute()**
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/thirdpart/django/core/management/init.py”, line 338, in execute**
** django.setup()**
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/thirdpart/django/init.py”, line 27, in setup**
** apps.populate(settings.INSTALLED_APPS)**
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/thirdpart/django/apps/registry.py”, line 85, in populate**
** app_config = AppConfig.create(entry)**
** File “/opt/seafile/seahub/thirdpart/django/apps/config.py”, line 94, in create**
** module = import_module(entry)**
** File “/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/init.py”, line 127, in import_module**
** return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)**
** File “”, line 1014, in _gcd_import**
** File “”, line 991, in _find_and_load**
** File “”, line 973, in _find_and_load_unlocked**
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'captcha’

If I now interpret this error message correctly, the module ‘catcha’ seems to be missing. So I tried to install this module later with my collected Linux know-how, but I still had no success:

administrator@Thaide:/opt/seafile$ pip3 install captcha
Collecting captcha
** Using cached captcha-0.3-py3-none-any.whl (101 kB)**
Requirement already satisfied: Pillow in /home/administrator/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from captcha) (8.0.0)
Installing collected packages: captcha
Successfully installed captcha-0.3
administrator@Thaide:/opt/seafile$ sudo bash seahub.sh start

Starting seahub at port 8000 …
Please try to run “./seahub.sh start” again

So now I am stuck at this point and don’t know what to do. Unfortunately the seahub.log file is empty, so that no further error messages can be found here either. At the moment I can only imagine that I either need some more modules for Python 3 or that some access rights in the context of the Ubuntu 20.04 implementation on the WSL1 platform are not set as Seahub needs them.

Can anyone help me how to get the current version of Seafile Server running in WSL1? Is there any other manual available online that explains how to install Seafile Server for a Linux beginner?

Greetings from Hannover, Germany,

Hannes