Seafile Client Linux - Debian 12

Hi guys!

Since this week my Seafile Client is “Seafile Client is already running”, but i have no GUI, i can’t sync my folders, and even on my website if i add something, is not sync locally on my laptop.
I don’t know what happened. I can’t figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Hi Diogo,

I am presuming that this was a pre-existing installation?

Have you tried stopping and restarting the service/server to see if this is what’s causing it?

To restart the service:

• Go to the installation folder for Seafile
  • Go to seafile-server-latest
  • Use the following commands:
    ./seahub.sh stop
    ./seafile.sh stop
    ./seafile.sh start
    ./seahub.sh start

If you are still having issues, can you please confirm if this is a new installation or an existing installation!

If you have any issues with this, please let me know and I would be happy to assist!

My email is: mitchw@kwgroup.uk

(Please note, I am in no way associated to Seafile - I am just looking to help the community!)

Hello!

I had to make a fresh instalation of my debian 12.
After that i installed Seafile-gui without issues, and it worked fine! Suddenly it stop showing the GUI on my tray icon. When i tried to start the GUI, it says that is already running.

I uninstaled, re-instaled, tried to stop, start, restart. Always the same output " Seafile Client is already running.

Im running the Seafile Client, i didn’t find these .sh.

Cheers, and i appreciate the help.

Hi Diogo,

Just to confirm, did you try doing the stop start from the seafile user or from your regular root account?

You should be able to do a pgrep to find the service and kill it as root, if you look in the trouble shooting section of the installation, it should tell you how to do this.

Let me know the results!

Kind regards,
Mitch

Hi!!

I did try even with root. I did kill also de process, seafile-applet and seaf-dameon. Then i tried to run again, and the same result. Its really strange.

Kind regards!
Diogo

Hi again!
I tested in a virtual machine on debian 12, and seafile worked without issue.
I think i will try to remove/delete everything that i have on my laptop related to seafile and try to re-install. Idk.

Seafile is a huge requirement for my day to day !

Didn’t work.

I will try to check the dependencies, but it’s really strange this behavior.

Know the behavior is, it starts, asks where to create the Seafile folder, but then it goes " Seafile client is already running" and it doesn’t show to configure the server, etc. :confused:

Hi Diogo,

Have you tried running the installation script instead of manually doing it?

With the script it automatically installs and sets up Nginx as well for the front end GUI. The only manual thing you’ll need to setup is the HTTPS/SSL.

Please see below for a step-by-step (post-Debian install):

• sudo passwd root
  • (ENTER THE PASSWORD YOU WANT FOR ROOT)
  • sudo su root
  • cd /root
  • wget (link to the raw bash file on GitHub from Haiwen)
  • “ls -a”
  • bash (file name) 11.0.1
  1. Press 1 for the CE version (unless you have got a pro license or only need pro for up to 3 users)

From here you should be able to go onto another machine (or laptop), open a web browser and type in the IP address of the machine and this will redirect you to the Seafile login screen.

The admin credentials should be pasted into your console, but should look something like this:
admin@seafile.local
Ha68iYt

Please let me know if you have any issues!

Kind regards,
Mitch

Hi Mitch
I’m not sure that’s what I’m looking for.

I can’t figure it out, because on a virtual machine with debian 12 the seafile client works without any problems, following the installation hxxxs://help.seafile.com/syncing_client/install_linux_client/.

And on my laptop was working before. I not sure, what happened.

Hi,
I formatted my laptop and after installing all my things, the problem persisted.

Believe it or not, after updating the laptop today, it updated VLC’s dependencies. I don’t know if it was something related, but after that I was able to configure and use the seafile client again.