Seafile PRO docker compose tips and help on installation

We have installed a new seafile on docker and i would like to share my tips and what could be improved on the official documentation.
Here is the official documentation links.
https://manual.seafile.com/docker/pro-edition/deploy_seafile_pro_with_docker/

On the host (linux) i have to configure first the vm.max_map_count=262144 as it is mandatory for all elastic container

nano /etc/sysctl.conf

vm.max_map_count=262144
you can find this topic on official elastic for docker documentation

I want to install the last version available 11.0.X. Seafile documentation propose to download a docker compose version for version 11

Seafile PE 11.0

wget -O “docker-compose.yml” “https://manual.seafile.com/docker/docker-compose/pro/11.0/docker-compose.yml

When i look on the file i see that it will download the seafile server corresponding to the tag latest
seafile:
image: Harbor

However the tag latest correspond to version 10.X this is not what we want.

So i look on the official repo what are the last tags available and it was 11.0.6 so if i install 11.0.6 i replace all occurrences of seafile-pro-mc:latest with seafile-pro-mc:11.0.6
In my case i will be sure to fix the version even if i reboot the computer. I can manage myself when i want to upgrade.
https://docker.seadrive.org

@daniel.pan it could be nice to update all docker-compose to fix to the lastest version available (with numbers version) for all major version because even for version 9 or 10 it will download the latest so it will try to install the version with tag latest (currently 10.X). Maybe you could also create new tag for major version like
11-latest, 10-latest …

Regarding elastic except the command i add to the host, elastic keeps crashing because of lack of memory. I had to update my docker compose file and doble the memory
image: elasticsearch:8.13.0
environment:
- …
- “ES_JAVA_OPTS=-Xms2g -Xmx2g”
mem_limit: 4g

Maybe in recent version of elastic it ask for more ressources than the one provided in documentation.

I also try with version 8.13.0 and it works fine (the version proposed in docker compose is version 8.6.2)

Also regarding docker compose we can add some container like antivirus or office
It could be a nice improvement to add it by default commented. In this scenario we will just have to uncomment and configure additional files required by the documentation (eg seahubs …)

By default when you restart the computer docker compose don’t automatically restart
Here is to create a service

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/docker-compose-seafile.service
[Unit]

Description=Docker Compose Seafile Service

Requires=docker.service

After=docker.service

[Service]

Type=oneshot

RemainAfterExit=yes

WorkingDirectory=/opt/seafile/

ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker compose up -d

ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker compose down

[Install]

WantedBy=multi-user.target

Then launch the following command
sudo systemctl daemon-reload

sudo systemctl enable docker-compose-seafile.service

sudo systemctl start docker-compose-seafile.service

Last thing,
When we want to install pro version, seafile recommends using docker but as we see on the repository docker server version is 2 version late on actual traditional installation. As it is the recommended way it would be a nice improvement to follow the actual version on docker version.

We start with seafile long time ago and we still see nice improvement.
Keep the good work.
Fabien.

Thanks for the suggestion. It really help. We have added tags like 11.0-latest and 10.0-latest.

I will check other suggestions too.

The lastest Seafile pro edition is 11.0.6 (pro edition changelog). 11.0.8 is only for community edition.