Seafile Server 9.0.9 for Raspberry Pi is ready! 09.05.2023

You can get it from the Seafile download section.

:pushpin: Please remember:

• Don’t forget to stop Seafile Server before the upgrade (i.e: sudo systemctl stop seafile-server or sudo systemctl stop seahub && sudo systemctl stop seafile)
  • Don’t forget to change the directory rights of Seafile after unpacking it (i.e: chown -R seafile:nogroup seafile-server-9.0.9 or sudo chown -R seafile:seafile seafile-server-9.0.9 )
  • Don’t forget to apply the upgrade script/s according your start release && with the properly user which in normal case should be seafile (i.e change to seafile user: su seafile -s /bin/bash or sudo su seafile), then run upgrade, i.e: cd seafile-server-9.0.9 && sh upgrade/upgrade_8.0_9.0.sh

Recommendations and clarifications

• Download the properly rpi version for your OS. There are: Debian Bullseye or Ubuntu Focal, Jammy, Kinetic. These were compiled against his own native libraries inside linux containers.
  • If Seahub is not starting properly you can debug by disabling daemon in conf/gunicorn.conf.py with daemon = False and start Seahub manually: ./seafile-server-latest/seahub.sh start

We are still searching for ARM Arch volunteers. Let us a message in Seafile Forum

You can check Seafile release table to find the lifetime of each release and current supported OS.

See also Seafile Server ChangeLog here.

Once again, thanks to the developers and Seafile Community.

Have fun!! :blush:

3 Likes

Hi,
I tried to upgrade to 9.0.9 from 9.0.2 version, but I have several errors (ubuntu 18.04 on odroid) :

/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /var/www/seafile/seafile-server-9.0.9/seafile/bin/seafile-controller)

What can I do ?

Bionic Beaver (18.04) is not supported / built for Seafile Server 9.0.9. You have to at least use Ubuntu 20.04 (focal). This is due to outdated golang versions.

is this the only issue? usually, static go binaries should run standalone without further dependencies, so it should be possible to replace them with ones built with a newer golang version without any complications.

Unfortunately, but also fortunately this is a community project and I personally don’t really have and had the time to debug it. So if you come up with an idea and manage to get the build working, we are happy to include this, so all can profit from it:
https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-rpi/pulls
Thank you :slight_smile:

In preparation of installing Seafile Server 9.0.9 for Raspberry Pi I used the latest Raspberry Pi OS which is Bookworm (Debian 12).

Following the Seafile server manual I was about to add the Python packages with sudo pip3 install ... what resultet in

error: externally-managed-environment.

After a little research I ended up here: www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/os.html#python-on-raspberry-pi and the information about PEP-686 what is active now in Bookworm.

The text goes on " …Installing packages using apt is the preferred method for installing Python libraries on Raspberry Pi OS. …".

Is there any recommendation from the Seafile community how to proceed?
Shall I better use Bullseye for Seafile Server 9.0.9 for Raspberry Pi?
Or can I keep Bookworm but use apt also for the Python packages (if all necessary for Seafile are availabe as apt packages, too)?

A bit late reply, but today I updated to Bookworm.
Found this guide: https://techviewleo.com/install-and-configure-seafile-on-debian/ .
You can use ‘sudo apt install python3 python3-xxx’ to install pip libraries (replace xxx with the name of the library).
Another option is to use ‘–break-system-packages’ with ‘sudo pip3 install xxx’ for packages which are not (yet) available through apt-get install.