Seafile Server in Docker is ready for testing on Windows 10!

docker
windows

You can now run the latest version of seafile server on Windows 10 with docker.

TL;DR Make sure you have a latest windows 10 system and get started!

The release of Seafile server for windows is always behind the linux version because we don’t have resource to maintain/release it in time. But now with docker, you can always run the latest version of Seafile server on windows.

Docker and Microsoft has been working together to support docker on windows. Since we have added Seafile server docker support on linux, it’s straightforward to support it in windows as well thanks to docker and container technology.

System Requirements

Only Windows 10 is supported at this moment.

At this time windows server 2016 doesn’t support running linux containers yet. We’ll add the support for windows server 2016 once it support running linux containers.

Getting Started

Please follow the getting started document.

Issue Reporting

If you encounter any problem, you can report it in this thread, with these information to help debug:

• The build version of windows and docker, and the hardware configuration
  • How to reproduce the problem

Any plans to update Windows Seafile Server to 6.x?

The new docker solution means you are running the “Linux version” inside a docker (similar to a virtual machine). This means you need to learn an use Linux commands to manage seafile. Means using different webserver (not IIS, means learning how to configure https etc.).

So basically means: They do NOT support future versions of seafile on Windows (5.1.3 is the last version) as such. Only as virtual instances of a Linux version - with all the difficulties for you as admin to maintain this.

Makes their lives easier as developers but means they don’t care about their windows installed base.

The idea of docker is let the application and the work environment of the application become a whole blackbox or a single exe. You don’t need to know what is in the image just like You don’t need to know what is in an exe program.

With seafile docker image, you manage the application via windows commands in a windows way. The logs, data, configs are all saved in a windows folder. You can do backup/restore/upgrade/config with windows tools.

Docker is not a virtual machine. In latter, You have to login into the virtual machine and manage applications in a Linux way. Docker is a way to distribute/upgrade an application like a platform independent execution file.

So how would https work? Would the docker instance be able to use my windows certificate? Or would I still use IIS for this?

LetsEncrypt support is included in Seafile docker.

I have a problem

Can you translate the error messages (the red lines) into English? It’s a screenshot so I can’t extract the text and use google translate.

You have two options:

1. let the scripts in the image generate the valid letsencrypt ssl certificate for you
  2. use your existing ssl certificates, just put it into the expected folder.

Check https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-docker/blob/f0e5708/README.md#lets-encrypt-ssl-certificate, note the steps described in “If you want to use your own SSL certificate:”.

cmd.exe : INFO: can not find files at specified templates.

Seems your system doesn’t have the where.exe program. I’ve update the script, can you try it again?

git pull origin
.\launcher.ps1 bootstrap

Now I have another error

main: could not find the type

I have the program where.exe in c:\windows\system32\

What’s is the version of your PowerShell? You can check it by typing $PSVersionTable in the powershell command line.

Name Value

PSVersion 5.1.14393.576
PSEdition Desktop
PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0…}
BuildVersion 10.0.14393.576
CLRVersion 4.0.30319.42000
WSManStackVersion 3.0
PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1

I have the same version of powershell installed as you do, which makes me a bit confused. Anyway, can you run the launcher.ps1 script without any arguments?

.\launcher.ps1

Or can you try to close the powershell window and open another window, then try to run the script again?

Result of command “.\launcher.ps1”

I do not know the language powershell, but I made a fork and made some changes that helped run the script.

But then came the following error:

[2016-12-21 11:53:59] Error: The command docker run --rm -it -v /D/seafile-docker/scripts:/scripts -v /D/seafile-docker/bootstrap:/bootstrap:ro sea
fileorg/server:6.0.7 /scripts/bootstrap.py --parse-ports failed

I think the error in the paths transferred in the docker.

Is there any other output? Generally when a docker container was running, it would output some error messages. BTW can you show what these commands output?

docker ps -a
docker images -a

Docker does not work for me because I use VirtualBox for other things. Please just support windows again. 90% of the population use windows, don’t make them spend weeks learning linux systems because support can’t be bother to help. I’m very frustrated because I have installed SeaFile Pro 6.0.4 over 20 times in the last 5 days trying to get it to work. No I’m not exaggerating on these numbers here. I’ve learned a lot over the past few days but if I can’t get it working by the end of the day, I’m going to drop Seafile.

I can’t use Hyper V on my server (CPU doesn’t have SLAT capabilities) and expect there are plenty of other users that can’t either.

Will the non-Docker variant continue to be released? (or at least security patched).

Cheers,
Mark