Seafile Total Space Used Inaccurate

Hey. I installed Seafile today on my Ubuntu 18.04 server, and am checking it out. I am loving it so far, but the biggest thing I have noticed is the representation of data total used within the admin info section.

Within, it says:
Storage Used
647.9 KB

Though, when I run
du -hs /home/username/seafile/seafile-data

on my server, it tells me I have used 796KB in that folder. Meaning, Seafile is showing me using less.

Am I doing something wrong here? Also, is there a way for the admin panel to tell me the total amount of space available on the disk in general as well as used, such as 647.9 KB / 300 GB?

Yes, it calculates the storage usage. It does not look at the actual usage.

No, there is not.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

So what you are saying is it doesn’t tell me how much the files total out to be in the Seafile-datw folder, meaning that number in theory is useless for knowing how much data your users are really using on your server? :frowning: Looks like Seafile might not be for me and I might have to migrate back to Nextcloud.

I was hoping to track how much space in my system I have used total so I know when to stop uploading files rather than have to manually ssh into my server each time I wish to check.

Thank you anyways, and I hope you have a great day!

You just need a one-line bash script for this. That’s not a purpose for migrating back to Nextcloud (there are some), that’s just lazy bulls**t. You could use Plesk or PhpMyAdmin for this (and many other observation things), if you want, but IMO they’re just a security risk.

The fact is not laziness but convenience.

I like to know where my storage is at, without having to SSH into my server every single time. Sometimes I don’t have access to SSH and need to know.

So, what I did do was create a custom bash script to run the df command, and output the results to a html file.
I then have a cron job running that bash script twice a day so the web page gets updated on a regular basis.

Took me a few hours the other day as I literally just picked up Ubuntu the other week and never really worked with servers before… but hey; at least I can see where I am in terms of storage limits easily, from anywhere without SSH.

It’s a shame I can’t integrate it into Seafile to make it look better; and that is why I asked this question. I guess laziness corresponds with wanting things to look more professional than this sketchy job I ended up making :rofl:

Thanks for the replies though, very insightful.

Hello,
OK, we can make bash scripts to measure disk usage on a daily basis, sure.
However, I can’t help to feel that things are a little more complicated when you host Seafile for customers : how can we know which customer uses which disk space ? And if not, who will pay the bill for the used disk space ?
In our case the real disk usage is twice higher than the displayed one… I guess it is a nice gift for our customers, but not for us :grimacing:
When we set a quota, it should include file history. Otherwise, it doesn’t mean anything.

Hey there. Since the months that have past I’ve done a bit of playing around with various ways to get this information, reliably, without having to run bash scripts and such.

I ended up settling with a third party (as in not Seafile, it’s still self hosted) service called Cockpit, as I did have many other virtual machines running and this lets me keep track of all of them in one spot.

That being said, it’d be really nice if this (real disk usage) can be implemented into Seafile as a native feature; until then I am going to deal with Cockpit.

It is a way to monitor real disk usage. However it doesn’t solve our basic problem which is “Who pays what” :slight_smile: