Seafile version 6.1.0 beta is ready for testing!

I started to write the upgrade notes pages. Please review and publish.

https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-docs/pull/311

@daniel.pan
I think that we don’t really need to document versions below V4, noone should be using those anymore.

Please add your notes to the upgrade notes, I might have forgotten something.

When there such pages users expect to get all steps but the upgrade / minor upgrade scripts are missing.

Furthermore thumbnail preview is disabled by default. Thus it would be better to add the options to the settings page including since 6.1.

Ok, then let’s find a way to clean this up. To split the information to several different website (changelogs, server manual, forum) is not a good idea.

We can add links into the upgrade notes sites that link to the main upgrade.md.

i have an existing seafile pro running 5.1.8 on ubuntu 14.04 in a VM.

i want to clone this, install & test 6.1 Beta over this.

is there something i need to do before i point upgrade?

i guess i have to 1st upgrade t ubuntu 16.04, right?

I can not fix the error and get the files saved after editing. Domains and URLs are correct, everything is opened individually but the callback does not work

2017-06-07 17:19:16,160 [ERROR] django.request:256 handle_uncaught_exception Internal Server Error: /onlyoffice/editor-callback/
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xface/haiwen/seafile-pro-server-6.1.0/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.18-py2.7.egg/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 132, in get_response
    response = wrapped_callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
  File "/home/xface/haiwen/seafile-pro-server-6.1.0/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.18-py2.7.egg/django/views/decorators/csrf.py", line 58, in wrapped_view
    return view_func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/xface/haiwen/seafile-pro-server-6.1.0/seahub/seahub/onlyoffice/views.py", line 45, in onlyoffice_editor_callback
    file_content = urllib2.urlopen(url, context=context).read()
TypeError: urlopen() got an unexpected keyword argument 'context'

Is the path correct like this?

Yes

Just saw this in the manual:

# Extensions of previewed text files.
# NOTE: since version 6.1.1
TEXT_PREVIEW_EXT = """ac, am, bat, c, cc, cmake, cpp, cs, css, diff, el, h, html,
htm, java, js, json, less, make, org, php, pl, properties, py, rb,
scala, script, sh, sql, txt, text, tex, vi, vim, xhtml, xml, log, csv,
groovy, rst, patch, go"""

@daniel.pan @xiez
Does this mean that we can define which formats we want to see as preview and want to edit? :slight_smile:

@daniel.pan Does this apply for Debian as well?
Debian is used often, please provide instructions for Debian.

Thanks!

I just saw this: https://seacloud.cc/group/3/wiki/#Release-Notice

@daniel.pan
Can we extend the release notes with all release specific changes?

I suggest to rather put these instructions directly in the server manual to have it in one place. There can be links from the current location to the manual where we can put those files.

https://seacloud.cc/group/3/wiki/whats-new-in-the-next-version-6-1.md

and

https://seacloud.cc/group/3/wiki/changelog-for-seafile-professional-server

as of 6.1.1

is 6.1.1 out yet?

Usually it’s about 2 weeks after the beta that the first minor version is released as stable. :slight_smile:

Good that this is written down somewhere, but it should be in one place like the Gitbook Manual or at least on their website. Bringing in seacloud.cc additonally is just a mixup. Also the wiki module is disabled by default from 6.1 and they use it to publish these files.
This is historic but can be changed. I don’t see a problem here, just place for improvement. :wink:

It has not been published so far. So documentation wouldn’t be of any advantage for now.

And what is the issue with that?

Well it was just released today! :slight_smile:

Why continue to use a feature that they decided not to support or develop much further on long term.
The documentation needs to be clean and tidy for people to understand it easily and be able to work with it.
People give up with Seafile often because they think they cannot handle problems. Often this is related because they do not find what they have to do exactly to get it working.

I’d like to see the changelogs and stuff like that to be included in the manual as well (so there would somehow be a single source of truth) and also submitted a PR in that direction 1 or 2 years ago, but looks like they want to keep it as it is. So I’m on your side, but don’t think that they now disable it by default necessarly means one cannot use it any longer.
I appreciate that they took the step because the wiki never has been good, but for the changelog and so on it seems to have worked so far (although it definitly was and is harder to find the content).

1 Like

This is a bad call for them, they should change it. We put a lot of effort into Seafile to make it better for free (I mean we spend A LOT of our free time for it. The contribution that we put into it is more than one could expect from community members who earn nothing out of it.

6.1.1 could be downloaded from seafile site.
6.1.1 for ARM aka Raspberry Pi could be downloaded in short