Seahub failed to start. No error log genrated

Running Seafile CE 6.3.2 (and 6.3.4, upgrading fixed nothing) on Ubuntu 18.04

After a regular apt upgrade and reboot, seahub failed to start. The error message I get is

$ sudo -u user ./seahub.sh start

LC_ALL is not set in ENV, set to en_US.UTF-8
Starting seahub at port 8000 …
Error:Seahub failed to start.
Please try to run “./seahub.sh start” again

seahub.log is not being updated, and I see no other error messages. I attempted to add DEBUG = True to seahub_settings.py as suggested in the manual, but that made no difference. I double checked and removed any extra packages under “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages” which has been an issue that I’ve had in the past. I also updated to 6.3.4. None of these things helped.

seafile.sh is running fine, it seems to just be an issue with seahub.

Any ideas what might be going on? Where can I get more diagnostic information to solve this problem?

Thanks

I had the same problem a few months ago. Sorry, I’ve forgotten the exact detail, but it was a permissions issue. If I recall seahub.sh was trying to write to /root instead of the home dir for the seafile user. I debugged it by running seahub.sh in a terminal which did give me enough info to see the permission problem. Can’t remember whether I enabled login for the seafile user or maybe used sudo -u (user) . Sorry I didn’t document the fix!

Hi George. Thanks for your advice!

Unfortunately, running seahub.sh from the terminal gives me no error messages other than what I pasted above. I ran chown on the entire seafile directory just to make sure permissions were correct, but that didn’t do anything.

Is there a way to get seahub to output more detailed diagnostic information? Without more information i’m not sure what I can do.

I’m still having this problem. Please, can someone tell me how to get diagnostic information out of seahub?

I got it working. I’m not sure what ended up fixing it, but I read through tons of threads on this forum and threw everything I could find at the problem.

• Made sure the seafile folder is owned by the correct user, and checked that all logs were writable only by that user.
  • Removed any extra packages under “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages”
  • Deleted all .pyc files from the entire seafile directory
  • Deleted all seafile related files from /tmp/ (seahub_cache was the main suspect)

It’s finally working again! I find it frustrating that I don’t know why this happened (I did nothing other than a standard apt upgrade in Ubuntu), and no error logs were generated to help me with the problem. The result was 3 weeks of seahub broken and around 6 hours of my time wasted trying to fix it. All’s well that ends well I guess.

Thanks to all that helped in this thread and this other one: Seahub not working any more