Sharing Individual Files

Hi there. A quick question here: I read in the manual that individual file sharing is possible as well as libraries and folders. However when I hover the cursor next to a file the download and trash icons appear but no sharing. I am using the community edition so I’m wondering is this feature only available with Pro? Or is there something not working with my installation / how can I track it down?

I always try to see if a question’s already been answered before I post but apologies if I missed out with this one. And if it hasn’t been answered thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Finally, a statement of the obvious: what a totally awesome product!

Yes, the Community Edition does allow you to share files, folders, and libraries. If you are speaking of the WebUI, just hover over the file/folder you want to share and the share icon shows up… However, keep in mind, it won’t show up on encrypted libraries… Ie, you can’t share encrypted files from the WebUI… You can, however, share all folders and files from libraries synced to your computer. In a Windows PC, for example, with the client installed on the machine, simply right click the file in the synced folder, hover over Seafile in the drop down menu, and then click “Get Seafile download link”.

Other than that, I don’t know of a way to share encrypted files/folders.

1 Like

Thanks so much, the answer was staring me in the face. I’ve encrypted my libraries hence why I’m not seeing the possibility of sharing files via the WebUI.

Great tip for sharing from my computer. Just a couple more Qs if you don’t mind:

1. There’s a box labelled “direct download” - is that something to do with files that haven’t yet uploaded to the server? They’ll get pulled straight from one’s computer rather than downloaded from the server perhaps?
  2. What’s a ‘seafile internal link’ / how’s it different from a download?

An internal link is a link to the file/folder within the Seafile library that is accessible only to people who are authenticated to the server. An internal link accesses the file directly in the Seafile app without the need to download it. A download link… well… has to be downloaded, and does not open in the Seafile app, but rather is downloaded to the client without accessing it from Seafile.

Take for example, two users. You email user1 with an “internal link”. He clicks it. The link takes him to the file in his Seafile client, providing he has access to the library.

You email user2 with a “download link”… He clicks it. An option to download the file to his computer pops up.

As for “Direct Download”, it’s similar to a “download link”, except it forces a download. Ever clicked on a PDF somewhere within your browser and it subsequently opened up within the browser window rather than downloading it? “Direct Download” prevents the file from opening automatically within the browser and forces the user to download the file to their computer first.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

One thing further. Encrypting libraries limits what you can do with them. For example, backing them up from the CLI… You can’t… And, if you should happen to reinstall seafile from scratch, or move them to another server, it’s possible that you won’t be able to access those libraries. Personally, I only encrypt libraries with sensitive information. Other libraries, I do not encrypt. For example, I have a Library where I store and sync programs and patches, such as new releases of the Seafile client, utilities I use to diagnose computer problems, etc… Those files don’t have sensitive information, so I avoid encrypting them.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanations about the different types of downloads and also for the excellent advice regarding encryption. I’m kind of a “knee-jerk” encrypter and I know it’s going to get me into trouble one day so it really does make sense to have a coherent upfront plan as to what does and doesn’t need encrypting.

Thanks in general for taking an interest in this post - most appreciated!

Not a problem. Any time. Also be aware that non-encrypted libraries will have increased performance over encrypted libraries. A general rule of thumb is to encrypt only when you have to, and that’s my rule for anything, whether it’s Seafile related or not.