I’m running the latest Windows seafile client (not seadrive) with seafile running on an Ubuntu 18.04 server with Apache as the proxy, every thing works well except an issue i came across the other day.
suddenly I could not sync a library. I keep getting the error “data transfer interrupted , please check network or firewall”
I thought it was down to the number of files, and i started to follow the threads about that.
Nothing worked, then i came up with the idea of a very slow robocopy, and the files started to sync then suddenly stopped.
To cut a long story short. it was down to a single file.
If i set up a new user with 0 files I could stop the sync with that single file. You need to remove the file , sync and then resync to get it to work.
The file is in index.js from the nodejs tool set, I would upload if i could. The file if from node_modules/depd
I tried disabling the AV but this did nothing.
couple of questions , how to I enable debugging so i can get a list of files being worked on rather then their hex ID. just enabling debugging does not work. This way i can see the troublesome files
Also how can this potential bug in the client be fixed.