Windows Client Seafile Folder and Indexing

Hello Together,

back in the days I installed seafile client and set the seafile-folder on a Harddisk (D:\Seafile)

lately more and more files are moving into seafile and are placed on that Harddisk (but outside the Seafile folder):
D:\Documents,
D:\Pictures
D:\Work

I see when the Client is Indexing a big folder outside (e.g. D:\ISO’s) the seafile folder (D:) grows alot. It shrinks again that okay, but the problem I think is that the HDD is copying and the doing the Meta/Indexing stuff then copying again and so on.
Since a have some SSDs in the Rig I thought it might be nicer to have the D:\Seafile folder or its Indexing-Workload on a SSD just to speed things up and free the HDD from work.

1. ist this possibile without reinstalling the Client?
  2. If not, do the existing Indexes stay okay ? if I reconnect both folders after reinstallation again?
  3. is this generally recommended as indexing should happen quite often and may shorting my SSD lifespan?
  • yet I had dropbox Indexing the DB Stuff on my SSD ever since, so I think its not a big deal.

excited to here from your guys
Michael

You can move the seafile-data directory to whatever drive you want and then link it back to the work tree (using symbolic links).

I do this very thing on my laptop, I keep the work tree in a mechanical drive and the index on the nvme drive.

you gave me inspiration but I found a nicer solution at least it fits more to me.
Symlinks are okay but I went this way:

1. stopped seafile client
  2. copied the D:\Seafile\seafile-data folder (HDD) to F:\Seafil\seafile-data (SSD)
  3. edited in C:\Users\myUser\ccnet\seafile.ini: D:/Seafile/seafile-data into F:/Seafile/seafile-data
  4. startet seafile everything was okay.
  5. deleted the old D:\Seafile folder

Thanks

I believe this also changes the directory for the worktree (the default seafile directory)

I don’t have any personal data in the seafile folder so it’s fine for me