Yet another "the user running the script is not the owner of seafile-data folder

Hi,

I’m running Seafile 11.0.1 with MariaDB on Ubuntu. Seafile is not running in a docker container.
Vanilla setup works properly. However I needed to move the seafile-data folder outside system drive to an externally mounted USB disk.

So I did the symlink , made sure chown and chroot of seafile-data folder are recursive for the user that runs seafile, etc.

Then I run into this:
./seafile.sh start

Error: the user running the script (“charos”) is not the owner of "/mnt/barracuda/seafile-data" folder, you should use the user "root" to run the script.

Running seafile.sh with sudo works , but obviously that is not a safe setup.

I stumbled upon this post Error:the user running the script ("root") is not the owner of "/shared/seafile/seafile-data" folder, you should use the user "UNKNOWN" to run the script - #4 by kiran1234, that explains the issue with exteral drives is transfer of ownership of the “seafile-mysql” directory located at “/var/lib/mysql.” and suggests a workaround for docker.

I am not sure I grasp how it works, but since I don’t run Seafile in a docker container, I would appreciate if anyone can share some suggestions how to fix this issue in a non-docker environment.

Hi Haris,

From my experience, the Seafile folder is owned by the user Seafile.

Please can you try swapping to the Seafile user then try running the script:
{GO TO NEW FOLDER LOCATION}
sudo su Seafile
./seahub.sh stop
./seafile.sh stop
./seafile.sh start
./seafile.sh start

Please let me know if you are still having issues!

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the reply. I don’t have a dedicated seafile user (apart from database obviously).
I finally tried several things with fstab for the mount options, changed permissions all over seafile and data and somehow, I managed to make it work.