Documentation too brief

Thanks, community members, for supporting Seafile[community] :slight_smile:
But I am having quite a bit of trouble installing it on Lubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.
I may have skipped over some parts of the documentation (Outline - Seafile Admin Manual) without realising it, but it seems there are some important gaps for someone like me. (I know a lot about using Linux commands, but not as much about system administration as I need to.) If there are community members who look after the documentation, I’d be glad if they could look over these points, check them out and make improvements. I’m sure other people who don’t have a lot of experience with Linux system administration would also be grateful.
Here are the specific things I found:

1. Somewhere in the documentation there is advice that for Ubuntu I should use mysql as the database program. The Installation Script section doesn’t mention that I needed to install msql first, nor how to do it. Nor does it point out that if I want to use mysql I should run the script setup-seafile-mysql.sh instead of the normal setup-seafile.sh.
  2. As we install mysql we have to set the root password, and it would be good for the Docker documentation to mention that we’ll need to add that to the yml file. (Responsible system administrators keep track of passwords properly, but a mention in the docs would help.)
  3. How to create the mysql user seafile would help. I had to use the mysql command
    CREATE USER ‘seafile’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘password’;
    Second nature for an experienced mysql manager, but not for me.
  4. For the Docker installation there is the directive at https://manual.seafile.com/docker/deploy_seafile_with_docker to " Download docker-compose.yml sample file to your host." I did that without any trouble, but I don’t know where to put that file. Info on that would be helpful in the documentation. Later on that page I found “NOTE: You should run the above command in a directory with the docker-compose.yml.”, so it seems it doesn’t matter where the yml file is, provided the command is run following a cd to that directory. I would have been helped by some more explicit direction earlier on the page.
  5. Seems the documentation should ask me to set the email address for problem reports, in SEAFILE_ADMIN_EMAIL
  6. It seems SEAFILE_ADMIN_PASSWORD is set inside this yml file. If so, it would be helpful if the documentation told me that. Should this be the same as the password I set for the mysql user seafile@localhost? Again, it would be good if the documentation could answer this question.

Thanks for thinking about these things.

1 Like