Plasma logout canceled by Seafile applet

Hi guys,

I’m having this issue with my KDE Neon install, where the first logout attempt is ALWAYS canceled by Seafile applet. I get the pop up warning, and the logout attempt gets ignored. If I try a second time, then it works.

Is there a way to fix this?

1 Like

No one else is using KDE? I believe this issue should happen to any KDE user…There are a few annoying apps that do this (one being Steam), but I hate the other one giving me headaches is Seafile. This should be an easy fix to implement so it plays nicely with KDE.

I have the same problem 5 months later again… its really annoying

This is a very common problem with KDE. Multiple people have logged bug reports for it with the KDE developers. It spans many different programs. I’ve not looked into it deeply, but I would suspect it has something to do with programs that run as daemons in a desktop environment.

I also use KDE on one of my laptops, and I always get this error, too. But I don’t think it’s annoying, I usually use Standby and when I shut the Laptop down, I can close the Seafile window.

1 Like

I have also user reporting the same behavior with linux mint.

You mean with Cinnamon DE.

I feel this is a Seafile bug not playing nicely with KDE desktop. Whenever this bug has arisen in other apps, in the end they released a patched version that wouldn’t continue running when KDE wanted to shut down. I believe the devs should look into this, shouldn’t be much of an issue to catch the KDE shutdown intent and just close Seafile as requested.

It not a problem with KDE itself, it’s a problem with sth other because the same issue with Cinnamon.

OK, so if it happens with several different DEs, then I’d say it’s more likely it’s the app and not all the DEs. It still looks to me that when the OS is sending the shutdown signal, Seafile app fails to catch it and ignores the shutdown. Then the OS shutdown halts due to an app running.

That’s because Plasma doesn’t use root privileges for shutdown. If you write sudo halt, it will work.

The issue happens to several different programs. It’s one of the major reasons I stopped using desktop environments and opted for Windows or Mac environments for GUI purposes. If I can recall correctly, it’s usually due to a program running as a daemon.

Hi…is there any update on this? Seafile seems the only app that stop me from a quick and easy logout. I had Steam before having issues with that, but seems to have been fixed now.

VLC had this issue long ago, but was fixed:
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi/vlc/vlc-1.1.git/?a=commit;h=c85aa861334a2693ee404301541a64d8941dd9eb

Transmission had that issue, and has been fixed now.
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/5206
An app called Cadence had this issue and has now been fixed.

My point being, this IS an issue WITH seafile, a bug that needs fixing. Please check what’s wrong to catch the shutdown signal with certain desktop environments, as it seems Seafile client really is ignoring them.

EDIT: The VLC submit is very clear on what might be the issue:

Qt4: accept close event on main interface (fix #4606)

If the event is ignored, the Qt4-X11 will reject the quit ICCM request.
This annoyingly caused VLC to inhibit logging out.

I have the same problem and also would like to have it fixed. It is clearly a problem in the Seafile client.

Same issue here.

I’ll made a Github Issue, even if this isn’t very annoying, for myself. If they don’t fix it, I’ll try to fix it in my next holidays, hopefully they’ll accept my commit.

1 Like

Seems like there is already a fix, why it was never merged, is there anything to do @lins05?
Can you please give us an explanation about this, @daniel.pan?

4 Likes

We wait now for over a month and still get no answer, even a explanation why you can implement the fix. We really need a statement on this @daniel.pan and @lins05.

We don’t have time to look into the problem yet.

But there is already a fix wit pull request as marked above. You just have to check if the CI doesn’t fail, you can merge it and deliver it with the new version. If the fix break things and doesn’t work, I will write a fix that works.

1 Like