Recommendes hardware for homeserver?

Hy,
I have Seafile Server on my home-Desktop right now for testing, as I have a lot of Disk space, which is too expensiv an a VPS or else. It works good, so I want to move to a dedicated hardware (without fans), as a Desktop computer of course has disadavantages (running all the time and so on). Of course a NAS comes to mind, but thats expensive. The last time I checked affordable NAS where running Linuxes with only Busybox but not capable of i.e. running Ubuntu or such.
What could be a good platform for seafile? Atom Cpu? Maybe a router hardware thats i.e. is commonly used for the Pfsense-Firewall (that i use on a very small machine), so one could combine firewall, nas, seafile? my internet line has 5mbti upstream, so thats sufficient for me and I want to go for ca 4TB storage , maybe on a raid-1, but i prefer raid4 as I think its quite ridicoulous to have 50% storage “cost” for redundancy…

In my humble opinion the best combination would be to use a NAS ( I got a QNAP with 4 slots, RAID5) for the LAN (without Seafile, but with NFS, SMB and iSCSI) and to rent a V-Server for Seafile. A V-Server reduces your electricity costs a lot and you can run so many useful services on it. I personally do not store a lot of data (<10 GB) on the seafile server, it is only for important data which I need on all clients on the way. When you talking about RAID4 instead of RAID5 regarding storage costs, did you already think about a backup solution ? :wink: If you are looking for a good cheap homeserver I would recommend you the HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - but I warn you in advance, HPs support pages are a pain, they are like a maze - but the hardware is great. The VMWare ESXi v6.x can be managed from any OS platform via web browser, which is great.

Now it is your turn you have to pick the right solution for you :slight_smile:

thanks :slight_smile: but i am looking the other way, more raspy and such, but i think i read the raspy is way too weak for seafile…
vps is not an option because i seek to provide Terrabytes vie Seafile. I hava a vps running seafile, thats just for my home directory. the home station would be for large files and foto sync.

I used to use the Odroid XU4 for seafile and many other services. It is a lot faster than the raspberry!
The only reason I dismissed using the XU4 was because it is not that good for setting up a RAID as it only has 2 USB3.0 Ports for Disks

1 Like

I have/had a cubietruck for home seafile server. It’s more powerful than RaspberryPi but it’s ARM, so there is no seafile pro edition for it. Therefore I’m migrating to a x86 machine at the moment. I put a 2TB 2,5" HDD in it for seafile-data but it would also be possible to combine it with a NAS, holding seafile-data on a RAID and mounting it via NFS for example.

1 Like

seafile pro is a must as i plan to register soon and i think that the pro edition will be the one developed further and maybe one day reach hassle-free status :wink:

Then you need an x86 machine.

The hp microserver gen8 is great but also already a little bit old.

You could build your own with an Intel Pentium G4400.The Pentium doesn’t cost much, needs relative few power, is capable of aes (,vt-d, vt-x) and supports ecc ram.

1 Like

The pc’s from Shuttle are also nice: x86, consume less power, quite cheap, without fan and for 24/7 designed. Have a look at: http://www.shuttle.eu/de/produkte/slim/xs35v5-pro/uebersicht/

1 Like

Hi,
Intel nuc.They are small, no noice and you can put in e.g cheap hdd and or ssd

1 Like

One wants to have at least two disks from my point of view.

There are two disk :wink: one m.2 faster than ssd and you could put in a sata or ssd.If you need backup hdd (3 hdd) it would be possible with usb 3.0

I also use an Intel NUC (nuc6i3syh) with a m.2 ssd for ubuntu and the other software and a 2.5" hdd for the seafile data. Additionally I have connected an extern 3.5" HDD where the seafile data is synced for backup.
This system (including the external HDD) needs about 12 watt per hour.
I know this is a bit “overpowered” for seafile, but I also use the NUC for streaming on my TV.

Sorry for being inaccurate, I meant having at least two disks for data to mirror them. An SSD for the OS and database is a nice “add-on”.

Imho this is actually a quite low power consumption and looks like a good Seafile setup, although I’d mirror the data disk using e.g. ZFS. It saves you time once one disk dies.

That is true :slight_smile: and i am currently planning this.

Hi! If you want to build your own NAS system, maybe one of the build examples from the German magazine c’t would be a good idea: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Der-optimale-PC-2016-3487165.html

Sorry for the German link, but I think they are well designed and tested. I also use a DIY system which is based on an older example from heise :wink:

I’d agree for a professional setup. For home use with main focus on power consumption most of the small machines aren’t able to hold two HDDs. But in any case I think one should have a backup on another machine, so if HDD dies, you can restore it from backup.

How much RAM do you plan for each GB/TB of data for ZFS?

That’s an important point, ZFS needs a lot of memory to make the most of its advantages - I would prefer e.g. brfs, ZFS is overkill for a home server. It is better to invest the memory in the VMs.

btw, my HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, fully equipped with HDs and a QNAP RAID5 (3xHD) consumes 60W - just for comparison.

The RAM usage is actually ok.

With 8 GB for Seafile Pro + ZFS (up to 6 TB - no dedup and no compression) you’ve got more than enough RAM (did have ZFS with 2×3 TB and 8 GB RAM on Debian Wheezy for about 2 years and it ran just fine).

Can have a closer look at it tomorrow.

I’ve got 16GB RAM and 4×3 TB as RaidZ2. Most of the time there are a multiple GBs RAM free and I run many more services than Seafile including multiple Java applications.

It is maybe to much for home use. :smiley:
If you need more hdd it would be possible with intel nuc :wink:. just buy a 2 one or even better 3 one. set up your hypersivor and you can even do stuff like moving vm, use hdd pools…