SeafileDocs: a special edition of Seafile that focus on online document and knowledge management

SeafileDocs Introduction

SeafileDocs is a special edition of Seafile with extra features like Wikis, online documents and real-time notifications.

Download and deploy

For CE edition, to use SeafileDocs, you have to use SeafileDocs Docker image (or migrate to SeafileDocs Docker image if you already using Seafile community edition). It has the following difference from the standard edition:

• An extra file activity page
  • The history information of Markdown files, Office files will be recorded in database for fast access.
  • Only support MySQL as database
  • Only distributed using Docker images
  • Wiki module is enabled by default

For Pro edition, you need to install an extra module.

Download and try

You can follow this document to install SeafileDocs with Docker easily: https://docs.seafile.com/wikis/seafiledocs-admin-manual-en/home.md

Main features

• Online Markdown editing
  • A draft review workflow for online documents
  • Metadata management, including
    • File labels
    • Related documents
  • Wiki mode
  • Realtime notifications

Online Markdown editing

SeafileDocs support Markdown editing in WYSIWYG way. It also supports the following extra features:

• Table editing
  • Add images by drag and drop or copy/paste.
  • Image resizing
  • Link to other files
  • If you create a sharing link for a Markdown file, internal images in the file can also be viewed via the sharing link. So you don’t need to create special public images.

Draft and review

You can create a draft from an exiting file or create a new draft file from scratch. After done editing, you can create a review and send the link to other people. Others can view file diffs in the review page and put comments on the file.

Library information bar

A library information bar is displayed at the top of the library page. It highlights tags, readme file, drafts and reviews of the library.

Realtime collaboration

• You can get an overview of how many people viewing editing a file.
  • If a file is being edited by another user, you will receive an update notification.

Wiki Mode and Public Wiki

You can now view every library in Wiki mode. This provides an easy way to navigate among files.

You can also create a public Wiki that anyone can access.

3 Likes

it is okay to split this stuff
it is okay to do docker releases

it would be really really great, if the ce docker releases would be actualized too !!!

2 Likes

What do you mean?

https://hub.docker.com/r/seafileltd/seafile/tags
Tags (11)

latest 292 MB
Last update: 3 months ago
6.3.3 292 MB
Last update: 3 months ago

but the seafile ce latest version is V6.3.4

see changelog:
6.3.4 (2018/09/15)

[fix] Fix a security issue in Shibboleth authentication
[fix] Fix sometimes Web UI will not autoload a >100 item directory view

i think if there are security fixes you should update docker releases

1 Like

I think this will only be additional work without any gain. It would be better to just keep it configurable as before. If the setup should be simplyfied you could offer different setup profiles.

Furthermore the docker images have many issues unsolved. E.g. NO security updates since release (whenever Ubuntu gets one you have to rebuild the image to make sure the vulnerability is mitigated). According to user reports they are also not very reliable, when a component fails the container has to be restarted manually, instead of splitting the software up into multiple containers and letting docker restart failed components automatically. New releases are also often behind and the private registry is not reliable and at least once some images were removed from the registry.

2 Likes

Although I agree, the reference is misleading as CE does not support shibboleth.

Edit: I was wrong on this CE does support shibboleth.

@shoeper i have many collegues in Universities who use CE and Shibboleth authentification.
This issue is for both editions : Unable to authenticate with Shibboleth - #13 by sniexx

Regards

1 Like

The docker image for CE edition is updated. It was designed to be automatically updated via a script via Travis CI. The bug is fixed now.

1 Like

Hi daniel, great news about the special edition.

But it is still confusing:

• how can I know which version of Seafile CE I am installing? I do not see any hint if seafile:latest is the special edition version
  • which is the correct way to install? The instructions on manual dot seafile dot com differ from the instructions at docs dot seafile dot com because the latter use docker-compose (I am not too familiar with docker yet)

Hi Daniel, another thing about your “Docker decision”:

• in your docker-compose.yml you require version 3.0. On a freshly installed Ubuntu server 18.04, this version is not available.
    Threfore, it is not possible to follow your installation instructions on a normal, stable Linux! To overcome this, users will have to install the latest docker compose from source, which is not recommended for production environments, or alter your docker-compose.yml

In the web interface → about, you can know the version you are using.

manual.seafile.com is for the standard edition, while manual on docs DOT seafile DOT com is for the seafile-docs edition.

https://docs.seafile.com/wikis/seafiledocs-admin-manual-en/home.md

It is changed to version 2.0.

2 Likes

This is a nice idea but might create more confusion than it solves problems.

From a paying customer point of view I was just thinking why resources were put into creating a new product rather than fixing issues of the Seafile Pro edition (e.g. the memcached bug that creates a lot of issues and makes proper working HA impossible). I am not even speaking about the CE, this is about paying customers that should be able to expect major bugs fixed rather than new products build.

What do you mean by that?

There was a fix but it doesn’t seem to work properly yet. We need to invest time to test this further, whereas a paying customer should be able to expect stable software. We basically pay for the software and have to invest time before deploying to do testing of all features since every release has it’s own new bugs that cause problems. :-/

The problem is solved already.

Can confirm that, everything works even with HA, that’s why i asked.

@DerDanilo Your post is several months old.

As I said we have to do more tests and have a look.