Documentation too brief, part 2

Hello again, generous community members,
I’m still trying to get the Docker version of SeaFile running on Lubuntu 20.04.3 LTS.
I tried the command in the Docker installation document:
docker-compose up -d
and got the error message:
ERROR: Couldn’t connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?
I checked with the ps command, and the daemon was running, as root.
I searched online for that error message and found useful information at this forum post. Someone gave the command for me to add my user account to the docker group and to make a symbolic link to docker-compose in /usr/local/bin, which seemed unnecessary, because the original location, /usr/bin, is already in my PATH variable.
I did those two commands and tried
docker-compose up -d
again, with the same error message. Further down the forum post at Docker someone said that the docker daemon runs as root, (and mine does too), so the command needs to be
sudo docker-compose up -d
I tried that, and it worked :slight_smile: – I saw the reports of parts of the container being downloaded and unpacked.
I think it would be very helpful if someone who has time could work out whether adding the person who invokes the command should be in the docker group or if the command needs to be run as root (ie. with sudo), and the documentation improved to show what the installer needs to do.
I have found bittorrent sync and syncthing much easier to install than SeaFile, and I still haven’t told you about the three exceptions I got after the container was downloaded and extracted. (I wish some other language had been chosen, not python. Python programs seem so fragile to me.)
I realise you are all busy people, so will be grateful for any improvements you can make to the documentation.

2 Likes

Hi Jim, thanks for taking the time to comment extensively.
I am not an expert on Docker, so I don’t want to bother you with my dangerous half-knowledge. For what it’s worth, I have reworked the manual installation instructions this summer and I think they are pretty easy to follow.

1 Like

Thanks, @rdb , I have made a new topic with some suggestions for your very helpful documentation, here.