Why do everyone claim that Nextcloud is better then seafile?

This option is not useless.However this will give us some flexibility to control users to not upload unwanted files. This option is available in many file server like windows , Nextcloud… etc. So this features should be also available in seafile. @daniel.pan Please consider it.

1 Like

No, it won’t.

Upload.zip - Blocked
Upload.zip.2 - Not blocked

Same file, same content.

Useless feature.

1 Like

@arjones85 @Wanni Please broaden your horizons. There maybe some use cases, where this kind of “filter” can be useful. E.g. Your customers and you exchange quite a lot files and types. In some steps of the process only some certain files/types are requested and here, it can help your customers to not upload the wrong documents. Filenames and types can be changed/obfuscated, I know, so I agree, that this can’t and shouldn’t be a security feature, but a functional feature. In business processes there are often conventions of file names and types, which should be followed, and in this context such a feature can be helpful.
Whether it is worth to implement such a feature or not, the Seafile devs have to decide.

2 Likes

Exactly @Nytrm, That is what I wanted to explain, Thank you. It is not a security feature but a functional feature because we have defined list of extensions file as per our business process and we don’t want users upload wrong documents. This feature is really much needed. @daniel.pan please have a look.

I used to be on the fence between the two, but went with nextcloud because while Seafile has a better and faster delta sync, and is a more efficient program, Nextcloud is a better organization for my purposes.

1. Nextcloud is more transparent as an organisation regarding roadmap, plans for existing bugs, etc. Seafile is “open-source” but there’s little to no ability to contribute to the code or monitor it’s development.
  2. Seafile arbitrarily depreciate features, which is fine, but they don’t tell people after they do (see contact backup topic in the forum). Indicates a lack of communication.
  3. because of this lack of communication and transparency, it seems like the developers are playing catch up and dealing with client concerns instead of focusing on coding. This is an inefficient use of resources and suggests they don’t have a QA team.
  4. I use a Seafile host and I’ve seen someone who works for that host plead for Seafile to address an issue. I’m pretty sure they are paying for the professional support license, do that they have to do it via a public forum is sketchy. I don’t trust that a vulnerability will be patched in time. With Nextcloud they have a more traditional Foss business model and organizational structure. Seafile seems like it’s flying by the seat of its pants. If they’re CEO and VP are responding to forum topics and they’re the programming, plus living they’re own lives; imo it doesn’t seem sustainable to me.
  5. I can’t tell if they want to focus Seafile for personal use or enterprise use. But if Enterprise, they seem to make the software without a lot of features that enterprise would want, in the west anyway. Especially from an IT process side, I’d never be able to get approval for Seafile because it is so black box in it’s development, I couldn’t guarantee what we were buying besides a file sync program.

That’s just my thoughts about why Nextcloud is a better option. Technology wise I still find Seafile to execute sync faster.

5 Likes

Thank you!

What do you think about about this feature dear @DerDanilo , I want this feature should be incorporate in seafile.

I am beyond the point of suggesting new features. Of course this makes sense but Seafile ltd seems to have it’s own way of development and communication.

1 Like

I believe that’s a feature, for what you don’t need much skills to implement it, only a amount of time. So try and test it, give Open Source a purpose.

Dear @Jonathan , Please have a look and consider this feature.

Thank you @bionade24 , please give me some clue and help , How I can incorporate this feature.

Hi @ziyaul121

We’ve heard about this feature requests a few times. It is quite intuitive to implement when uploading file in the web interface. But it’s more costly to implement this check when syncing files. Since seafile doesn’t just sync the files one by one, but syncing them in a combined batch, the server has to calculate the “diff” of the batch to tell which files are uploaded. This certainly costs more computation on the server side. NextCloud can do this because they sync files one by one. This request is certainly in our mind, but we’re not determined to add it.

1 Like

Hi @Clouds

Thank you for your suggestions. Some of them are certainly valuable for us. We’ll try to communicate the roadmap and change of features earlier and more clearly in the forum. But I do believe there are a few misunderstandings.

First of all, I don’t think it’s a bad thing that CEO or VP are talking directly to the users or customers. That’s a kind of transparency you may want. I believe Frank from NextCloud talks to his users a lot too. This can help the community and the “bosses” of the product learn from each other. And judging how a company works by this is not fair. It doesn’t mean we are just a two-person company or something. I personally do less and less programming now since we have an ever growing team of developers. But yes I’m still good at programming and I think this is an advantage.

I would say no product is perfect and Seafile is still growing its feature set for Enterprise. You can just have a look at our change log for the Pro edition (https://manual.seafile.com/changelog/changelog-for-seafile-professional-server.html), many enterprise features are added. Some of them doesn’t exist in NextCloud and I don’t think they’re trivial features, such as Hierarchical Departments, and department-owned libraries. We’re also listening to our customers and users for feature requests. It doesn’t mean every feature request will be accepted, but we’re open to ideas.

About accepting contributions, we’re open to accept contributions from the community, as long as they’re good in quality and is useful for the general users.

8 Likes

I think @ziyaul121 only need this feature for the WebUI, so it should be easy. The anti virus also only works directly in seahub, doesn’t it?

The anti virus works in the background to scan the files periodically. Optionally you can configure to immediately scan files uploaded from web.

Ah ok, just from the web. Thank you

OK, @bionade24 @ziyaul121 We’ll add this to our development plan.

1 Like

Dear @Jonathan , That’s great :grinning::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:, Thank you so much.

Dear All,

I have done a workaround to identify the file extension which are not allowed as per business policy. I have written a shell script which show me the username, folder, file and their extension using FUSE extension feature which are against our policy. Now we have way to monitor what users are uploading as seafile not preventing to stop users to not upload this specific file extension.

But using FUSE we can mount directory ‘’‘read-only’’’ and I can’t delete those extension files which is not required as per business using same script. To delete we need to follow up with users and ask them to delete. so this is some manual and time taking work. We want it should be done with same script in one go.

is it possible to mount directory with “read-write” using FUSE ? Or Please help me with any workaround. @Jonathan @bionade24 @shoeper @DerDanilo

Regards,

You can try to modify this.
But you could also try to write something into seahub blocking this, or if use pro, say your AV that this file type is malicious.